Military Spouses of Strength is a national nonprofit organization with a mission

to improve the health and overall wellness within the military community.

What financial aid do veterans service organizations offer for military service or for family members of military personnel? 

The following major national organizations offer scholarships primarily to active duty military, veterans, and/or their families:

There are many smaller veterans service organizations around the country that might offer scholarships. Check with your local organization or try a scholarship search.

Family members of military personnel

U.S. Department of Education Grants 

The U.S. Department of Education makes grant funds available to students whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11. 

At the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death, the student must have been younger than 24 years old and/or enrolled at least part-time at an institution of higher education. Before a student can receive such grant funds, he or she must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSASM) at www.fafsa.gov. Additional information about the FAFSA and finding money for college is at www.studentaid.ed.gov.

What financial aid does the government offer for military service or for family members of military personnel?

Below are a few sources of financial aid that you might want to consider. You also should explore todays military.com’s list of educational benefits for service members.

Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) Scholarships  
These scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit rather than financial need:

  • Army ROTC scholarships are offered at hundreds of colleges. Application packets, information about eligibility, and the telephone number of an ROTC advisor in your area are available from College Army ROTC or 1-800-USA-ROTC (1-800-872-7682). 

  • The Air Force ROTC college scholarship program targets students pursuing certain foreign language and technical degrees, although students entering a wide variety of majors may be accepted. Information about Air Force ROTC scholarships is available from Air Force ROTC College Scholarship Section or 1-866-4-AFROTC (1-866-423-7682). 

  • Navy ROTC offers both two-year and four-year scholarships, with options to join the Navy, the Marines, or the Navy Nursing Corps. For information and applications, contact Naval Service Training Command or 1-800-NAV-ROTC (1-800-628-7682).

  • The Marine Officer NROTC Program pays your way through college at approved schools and offers an additional scholarship if you attend one of a list of approved Historically Black Colleges and Universities (known as HBCUs). Learn about the Marine Officer NROTC Program and request more information.

Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Education Benefits. The VA offers education benefits for veterans and for their widows and dependents on its GI Bill site. 

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant or Additional Federal Pell Grant Funds

If your parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11, you may be eligible for additional aid. To be eligible, at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death, you must have been less than 24 years old or enrolled at least part-time at a college or career school. Payments will be adjusted if you are enrolled less than full-time.

Federal Pell Grants: If you meet the requirements above and are eligible to receive a Pell Grant, you will receive an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of zero, which maximizes your Pell Grant eligibility and can increase your eligibility for other federal student aid programs.   

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants: If you meet the requirements above but are not eligible for a Pell Grant based on your EFC, you will be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant. The maximum amount of the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant is the same as the maximum Pell Grant award. Your EFC will not be affected, and therefore neither will your eligibility for any need-based federal student aid. 

Scholarships for Military Children